Thursday, January 22, 2009

Dinner conversation


So the kids were eating dinner in the kitchen while I was catching Briella's baby book up when I overheard the following conversation.

James: Guess what Avery! Pretty soon you're going to be a mom and I'm going to be a dad!
Avery: Yeah.
James: And I'm going to go to work and you get to grow the baby in your tummy!
Avery: Yeah.
James: And then I get to bless the baby and you get to take care of it.
James: What do you want your baby's name to be?
Avery: Pink baby

Now I know that I have YEARS until this is actually a reality, but I got a little emotional thinking about how fast time flies. It seems like it's whizzing awful fast right now and I wish I could slow it down.

Ben thinks I'm crazy, and rightly so, because every time he mentions the kids going to college or doing their own laundry, I've totally teared up. I can't help but love the stage the kids are in right now and am not ready for them to grow up.

Right now James thinks I'm the coolest mom because I can beat Mr. Freeze on his Leapster.
Right now they actually like us and want to spend time with us.
Right now they are sad when we are gone and giddy when we come home.
Right now they love to cuddle and demand it before they can fall asleep.
Right now a simple kiss makes an owie go away.
Right now they are each others' best friends.

One day this may all change and that makes me the saddest of all. Until then I will have to squeeze every possible second of time with them and hope that they will still think that Ben and I are "cool" when they are teenagers!

4 comments:

Nelson Family said...

K, you are such a cute mommy! Thanks for the reminder to cherish these moments. Such true sediments!

Omgirl said...

You are soooo right. It really is a precious time when they love their parents to death and want to spend every minute with them. I'm glad you gave me a good mental shaking so I would remember and not take it for granted.

Financial Aid for College said...

Nicki, you are such a softie sweetheart! That was very poetic and touching - almost as touching as your three oldest children (which includes Ben) with tape holding their noses up.

Michelle, Cory, Dominik, Cade, Damian and Anielle said...

Isn't that the truth. They do grow up so quick. Isn't it great being a Mom. I love it!!!