Sunday, April 19, 2009

An experiment


April 20th marks the start of "TV turn-off week." I had heard about this last year but had been pregnant and on my deathbed (figuratively speaking of course), and the last thing I needed was to turn off the one saving grace that kept my kids entertained.

Seeing as how I don't really have any excuses this year I've decided to bite the bullet and participate. I'm going to take it one step further though and not use the internet either (insert cringe here). See, I think I have an addiction and I need to do something about it. My kids would have no problem missing the tv for a week, it's me that will have a problem. I plan on not quitting cold turkey, but rather using the internet/tv as a reward for myself. I'm going to take this week and try and ration my time better. I have a whole lot of activities planned for the kids and projects around the house. I figure, if I set a goal for each day of things I need to accomplish, then when I complete them I can reward myself.

I may last only a day, I can already tell you I won't last seven, but if I can get some of these projects done and spend some good old-fashioned quality time with the kids, I will consider it a success.

Wish me luck and pray for my sanity.

7 comments:

Hildie said...

ewwww. You are brave. Try not to kill yourself before Wednesday!

Unknown said...

Holy crap! Good luck. Jon and I have talked about not watching shows for a while (since that's sort of our tv) but I don't think i could do well without the internet. I love it so!!

Denise said...

It's a good thing we don't still live down stairs from you because that totally wouldn't fly. We thought about it for about 5 minutes and then I decided I wanted my kids to live through the week so we'll be turning on the tv first thing in the morning. But I am impressed. I hope you get tons done.

M said...

What do people do to relax without the TV/Internet? I hope your week goes well! Let's do something fun...

Omgirl said...

Wow, you are brave! I'm tempted to try it too. But considering that Kelly is out of town and I'm alone with the kids, I think such an experiment might end up in a double murder-suicide. Maybe I'll try it next year?

Financial Aid for College said...

Good for you, Nicki! I hope it works! Maybe you could try some other things you used to enjoy like scrapbooking or soap making or something. I know that the internet is as heroine to me - once I get on I can't get off!

I had a blessing by my home teacher a few months ago, and right out of the blue he told me to limit my time on the internet if I wanted to be calm, peaceful and happy. AARRRRGGGHHH! But he was right.

crazymamma said...

you are the bravest person EVER! this is why i admire you soo much. I think i would have a nervous breakdown if i couldnt use internet or tv..really i would. I am really proud of you and i am excited to hear how it goes! i was laughing at michelles comment about what people do to relax without tv or internet and all i am going to say is ...babies..people make babies.! hahaha jesse and i joke when we see people with a ton of kids close together in age that they must not watch tv! hahaha this is not meant to offend..just is a funny joke!